Oct 15 2014
I’m sure you had fantasies of growing a six-figure business in a short time.
You know it’s possible and so many people say they’ve done it and promise to show you how.
So, with excitement you began your business and now some years later you are still stuck at $30,000 a year or even $60,000 a year and you don’t know what went wrong!
Or you are ashamed to admit that you are only at $20,000 a year.
You are working long hours and doing your thing, whether it’s healing work, writing, coaching, designing, or some other focus that takes all of your time.
You do everything yourself because (a) you don’t have the money to hire people or (b) you don’t know how to let go of what only you can do.
There are times you feel like one of those hamsters with their wheel going around and around.
You have the mindset of a technician; someone who does the work, whatever it is.
Technicians work on the cars in a shop. If it a successful business, the owner never gets her hands dirty ever again.
The owner is the visionary entrepreneur and has the overview, plans for business growth, watches the bank balance, and makes strategic decisions.
The owner has a clear vision of where the business is going and has goals and a path laid out to get there.
Do you have a clear vision of where your business is going and what needs to happen to manifest that vision?
If you are a technician you probably don’t have time or know how to create this picture. You might not be wearing the entrepreneurial hat.
Here are 5 super-empowering things you can do if you want to switch hats. As you do these things, it will be like looking in the mirror and not just seeing the new hat, but also a new attitude on your face!
Warning: These things require you to shift and step out of your coveralls!
1. Take yourself on a business retreat. It could be a weekend away to the beach or mountains. Or it could be someplace inspiring right in your town. The main thing is to shift to a different mental space. You are going to have a visionary meeting with your business, so don’t combine this with visiting friends or a shopping trip. Get out of your house!
2. Tell at least three people you trust. Pick people who will be supportive and ideally are people you would see as mentors. Ask them if you can contact them for a 15 minute phone or skype call while you are away. Ask them if you can share with them and ask them for quick feedback if you get stuck or unsure.
If they don’t have time or not interested, ask someone else. Offer to do something for them in return or offer to pay them if you feel that would be appropriate. These people will be your visioning team.
3. Get some good quality marketing pens – at least 12 colors and some large sheets of paper. You don’t have to be an artist so don’t freak out. This is isn’t going to be an art project. It is an information gathering session and using markers and color will help you to connect more with your ideas. It moves from being just a mental exercise to being emotional and intuitive as well.
4. While you are in your retreat answer these questions.
• Who am I?
• Whats my mission and why is that important?
• What’s working in my business?
• What is not working?
• What needs to change or grow in order to make it work?
• What is the inner or outer obstacle?
• What is my money goal ?
• What needs to happen to get there?
• What kind of help or support do I need?
• What are the next steps?
5. With your paper and markers show each question and every answer or response you can imagine. using colors, arrows, large and small words, faces, hearts, or whatever. Remember, this isn’t art. It is just a visual map of your ideas going forward. There are no mistakes.
When its all done, stand back and look at it. Notice how you feel. You’ve just stepped out of technician role and stepped into the role of the visionary entrepreneur.
Remember, its not about getting a right answer. It is a process and every time you do it, you become clearer.
Are you willing? I know you can do this! However if you want support and someone to walk the path with you, contact me for a free strategy phone session to help you get going.
Ask me questions in the comment section below. I promise to answer.
oh- and here is what I did recently- I created my own map with only 12 markers. Have a look!