May 14 2013
I sat down to write this blog post today knowing it’s Tuesday and I have a commitment to keep!
The problem is I’m not always inspired!
I know all the regular topics that my clients want to hear about; how to get more clients, how to price their programs, how to figure out their elevator speech, how to deal with all the technical issues, blah, blah,
Those are all good topics, and yet they don’t get to the real core of the issue for most of my clients.
The core has to do with emotions. Ugh. No one wants to talk about this because, hey, you are supposed to look like you have it all together.
You go to networking groups and dress-up, put on your best smile and talk about your business as though it was highly successful!
In the privacy of your own home you are in tears, dealing with anxiety, panic attacks and feel like a failure.
Last week I had a new client share with me that she felt it was dishonest for a business coach to say they can help you get more clients, when in fact they are constantly looking for more clients themselves.
She expected her coach to not have the same problems she had.
Her comment made me think about this whole issue. She had already hired me at this point, so I very quickly let her know that in fact I am not as “pure” as she thought! I wasn’t going to put myself in a postion of pretending I was someone I wasn’t. Of course I have issues!
As it turned out, she decided to stick with me because I was honest.
Here are a few things I believe to be true.
1. When you own a business, you never stop facing those core issues around money, rejections, failure, and self-doubt. Never!
2. You never, ever stop having to do marketing, selling, and bringing in new clients. It doesn’t matter what kind of business who have. One rule of thumb is that it takes a good four months before you see the results of any marketing campaign. So, if you stop doing marketing, you are going to be mighty hungry four to six months down the road.
3. It isn’t a shameful thing to feel scared or stuck in your business. The times I have had the most issues myself, I am the sharpest in helping my clients. I have blind spots in my own business, but they don’t over-low to my clients, in fact it’s the opposite. Not sure why, but it’s always been that way. ( It doesn’t mean I don’t offer good service when I feel un-troubled. The logic doesn’t go both ways
If you are feeling stuck, fearful, riddled with self-doubt or confused, this isn’t the problem. The problem is what you do when this happens. Some people hide out, eat junk food, or do computer games. This will just make you feel worse.
Here is what I suggest instead:
1. Take action. It doesn’t matter what as long as you do something constructive from your to-do list.
2. Find someone to talk to about how you’re feeling. Just in that process, you will shift and realize that just on the other side of the fear, is a feeling of promise, a knowing you are going to make it, a belief that you will be successful.
3. Find someone who can see past your blind spots. This is the best investment for your sanity and for your business. Once you can clearly see what they see, the fears and self-doubts will fade into the background like magic.
Does this make sense to you? Can you relate? What do you do when you feel stuck?